Friday, October 17, 2008

WipEout HD


If ever a game might induce motion sickness, WipEout HD is the one.

I still remember the first time I saw a WipEout game.  I was at my local video store looking for Genesis games to rent. WipEout for PS1 was on display at a kiosk. It was a breathtaking game; blistering fast and 3-dimensional.

Of course, by today’s standards you could engage in a lengthy debate over whether the original WipEout even looks 3-D.  It’s certainly no longer capable of eliciting gasps.

WipEout HD revitalizes and realizes the promise of the series. It’s not going to win any awards for social commentary, but the sense of speed is overwhelming. It’s a highly detailed game that flows perfectly at 60 fps. As you hover slightly above the ground and fly down spiraling tracks, you can almost feel yourself being pushed back in your chair.

The game increases sharply in difficulty, setting high expectations that led me to re-race tracks over and over. Honestly, I’m not sure if I can finish this game, but I’m completely addicted to it.

I’ll post more about it as I make it further.

No comments: